Entries for the Imana Wild Ride are limited to 100 teams (of 2 riders) ie: two hundred participants in total. The event is split into two start waves of fifty teams each over two consecutive start days.
The first start is the more competitive event from which the race winners are determined. The second start is run on a tour format and is not timed.
- Event 1: “Race the Tide” x50 (2-man) teams.
- Event 2: “Ride the Wave” x50 (2-man) teams.
- The entry application process opens in mid-January.
- Participants from the previous year (current teams) have first option to submit an entry application. This application is provided via an email link and is open for a two week period. In the case of split teams, only one entry is allocated.
- New teams wishing to submit an entry application need to be on the waiting list first. Teams are allocated an entry off the waiting list in chronological order. Teams on the waiting list will receive an email link at the beginning of February to submit an entry application. Entry applications are then processed in chronological order. Join the waiting list
- Successful teams will receive an Entry Confirmation within three weeks of submitting the Entry Application, at which point the entry fee is payable.
- Unsuccessful teams have the option to be placed on the ‘Standby List’ (see description below).
- The final option for an entry would be for teams that are forced to withdraw in the final few weeks before the event. For this there is the ‘standby list’. Teams on this list need to be available to accept an entry at short notice.
Entry Fee @ R17,100 (incl. VAT) [2017 Rate] / team includes
3 nights accommodation at Kob Inn, The Haven and Ocean View (Coffee Bay).
Welcome dinner at registration (Morgan Bay Hotel).
Sunrise breakfast on race day morning.
All meals between the start and finish.
Back-up service (no seconds are permitted, all luggage to be transported by the race vehicles).
Bike wash facilities.
Medical cover (evacuation in the case of emergency).
Route cards and permits.
Ferry fees for major river crossings (day 4).
Race apparel handouts.
Race Footage (Daily edits & TV Show) per team.
A donation to WREC (Wild Ride Education Company).
Entry fee excludes:
Accommodation the night before the race starts (Morgan Bay)
Accommodation the night of the last day (Umngazi River Bungalows)
Travel to the start and home from the finish (transfer options available)
Spending money during the event (drinks at the pub)
LOGISTICS & PLANNING
The race entry fee includes accommodation between the start line and the finish line. The nights either side need to be booked by the participants. Morgan Bay is the official hotel for race registration in Morgan Bay whilst Umngazi River Bungalows hosts the finish venue.
See accommodation options and contact details herewith.
Transfers & Logistics
The Imana Wild Ride does involve a fair amount of planning and logistics, being an A to B type stage race. There are various options available:
- Fly into and out of East London. Transfers are available (see below).
- Drive your vehicle to the start and book a vehicle transfer to get your vehicle to the finish.
- Umtata is the nearest airport to Umngazi (finish) but flights are limited.
- INCOMING: Transfer from East London airport to Morgan Bay. Transfer departure times are geared to suit incoming flight arrival times. Travel time approximately one hour thirty minutes. Cost per person is approximately R400 [2016 rates] (incl. bicycle).
- OUTGOING: Transfer from Umngazi River Bungalows to East London airport. Allow for five hours return time when booking your return flight (do not book a return flight earlier than 13h00). Cost per person is approximately R900 [2016 rates] (incl. bicycle).
- VEHICLE TRANSFERS: leave your vehicle parked at Morgan Bay Hotel. A school in East London gets the parents involved to drive the vehicles to the finish at Umngazi where they are parked securely until your arrival at the finish. This works well as a fund-raising opportunity for the school whilst giving vehicle owners peace of mind that their vehicle is being driven safely and responsibly.
Due to the smaller flights arriving in East London, it is advised that participants travelling from Cape Town and Johannesburg make use of the bike courier option. Bikes are collected from a suitable venue and delivered to Morgan Bay Hotel (before you arrive for registration) and then collected from the finish at Umngazi and returned to the same venue it was collected from.
Details available once entries have been confirmed.
DEFINITION OF TERMS
Current Teams: participants from the previous year’s event. Current teams who are successful in securing an entry will need to make payment within two weeks of receiving the Entry Confirmation. Teams not paying in due time will forfeit their entry to the standby list. Please note: no reminders will be sent, no excuses will be tolerated! However, teams needing assistance with the entry fee payment may appeal to the event organisers.
Waiting List: the waiting list is an accumulated list of teams wishing to take part in the event. Teams on the waiting list will receive an e-mail in early February with a link to submit an Entry Application. The waiting list works in chronological order, ie: teams that have been on the longest will be first to receive an Entry Confirmation. Once teams have received an Entry Confirmation payment must be made within two weeks to secure the entry.
The ‘Standby List’: Current teams who are unsuccessful in obtaining an entry will be placed on a ‘standby list’ to fill any confirmed teams who are forced to withdraw. Teams will be allowed two weeks from the time of receiving an Entry Confirmation, to make full payment for the entry.
The ‘Short List’: Any team vacancies from the 1 June will only be open to teams who have indicated they are willing and able to commit to the event at short notice, i.e.: 6 weeks or less before the event! In some cases this has been the day before!
TERMS & CONDITIONS
We regret to have to request that teams participating in Event 1 (Race the Tide) will be unable to stay on at Umngazi River Bungalows at the finish for a second night. This due to limited accommodation available at Umngazi and space is required for Event 2 (Ride the Wave) finishing the next day.
There is NO TIMING (ie: no results) for teams participating in Event 2 (Ride the Wave). This is considered a fun event and taking the stop-watch away is really what it’s all about ! If you want to be timed, enter “Race the Tide”!
REFUNDS: Refunds may be approved up until the end of June with a 10% cancellation fee. No refunds will be granted from 1st July, unless a replacement team is secured (either by the team withdrawing / the organiser finding a replacement team). The 10% cancellation fee applies. Should no replacement be found, the team will forfeit their entry fee. Entry fees will not be carried forward to the next year.
SUBSTITUTIONS: Teams may need to substitute a rider. Substitutions are charged at R570 (R500 plus VAT) per rider change. Substitutions need to be directed through the race office by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
(Max 100 teams of 2)
Entries are allocated per below:
Sponsors / official = 5
Top 5 guaranteed (Event 1) = 5
Auctioned Entries = 4 (two per event)
Current entrants = 50
Waiting list = 30
‘Wild Card’ = 6